Window Balance

A quick learner from West New York says:
Dear Madam or Sir,

I need help to find a replacement window balance for my single hanging window. Please see the attached photo. The closest that I found on your website was this (https://www.swisco.com/33-inch/pd/Series-795-Channel-Balances/S795-33), but the shoe type seems to be different. Please let me know if you need further information to identify the part.

Thank you!
Xuan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0633.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0634.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there, Xuan.

I am confident we can help with this but I'd like more information before I recommend anything. Can you confirm if your balance uses a hook or screw to install? Can you also tell me the stamp printed on the metal channel? 

Thank you so much to help!

I feel it is a hook on the top, because when I use my finger to touch the L shape on the top, it can swing side ways and I don't know of any tool can screw there, see attached photo (top.jpg).

The stamp is bit blurry, but I can read 33E B.S.I. RO, see attached photo (stamp.jpg)

By the way, part of shoe is in side the slide (shoe in slide.jpg) that can't be taken out, and it will be connected to the balance with the structure showed in photo (balance bottom.jpg)

Thank you!
Xuan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named top.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named stamp.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named shoe in slide.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance top.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance bottom.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks for getting back to me! We can certainly supply replacements for this balance but it will have to be a custom order due to its configuration. To outline it for you, we will use the S795-33 with the 33E stamp and the 15-224 inverted link, and 15-198 hook attached. You can use this link to place an order on our website. 

Please note, this link does not include the pivot shoe. If your old one is in good shape, you can just reuse it.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help!

Thank you, Emily!

I have one more question regarding the hook attachment. My window frame does not have a square hole and the hook seems to be sealed firmly from the top and not able to be taken out. Is it possible that I just leave the old hook there, and use a screw attachment for the new balance?

If so could you help to update the customized order to a screw attachment, and in addition, I need a total of four balances to repair for two windows.

Thank you!
Xuan
Profile picture of Emily

We've never heard of a balance hook being sealed into the jamb. They're always designed to be taken out. If yours is indeed sealed in, someone made a mistake when installing this hardware. Can you show us a photo of the hook installed? 

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the reply! Please see the attached photo for the attachment. It is sealed from the top by wood (dark area in the photo), so that the attachment can't be pushed upward.

Best,
Xuan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0733.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

That's very odd. I'm going to forward this to one of our senior experts to see what he thinks. We will reach back out to you the second we have more information.

Thank you!

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The cutout for the hook should be on the track, not sealed in. From the photo, it looks to be on the side of the track. Is it possible to send a few more photos from a few different angles? 

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for looking into this! I am attaching more photos about the attachment. Yes, the attachment is on the side of the track, but there is no cutout. The top edge of the attachment immediately meets the wood on the top , and I don't know how to take it out (I put my finger there and feels no space/hole to move the attachment upward).

Best regards,
Xuan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0745.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0748.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0746.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0744.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Thank you kindly for the additional photos, Xuan! The frame of the window seems very weathertight, so I don't recommend taking the window frame apart to get to the top clip. What I suggest doing is cutting off the cord to the top clip and letting it stay there. This way you can use the stock Series 795 with the 19-043 screw clip by drilling a hole at the top of the track, not on the side, and with a long screw that will reach the wood frame and attach the balance clip. Note, the S795 comes attached with the 15-195 T-lock shoe by default so you would have to purchase the 15-224 inverted link separately and swap them as shown below.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you, Paul! That sounds good to me.

Do I need to place a custom order or just order the parts you mentioned? Also I need a total of four balances (two pairs) for fixing two windows.

Best regards,
Xuan

Profile picture of Paul

Nope, there's no need for a custom order since you'll be using the stock Series 795. Based on the information you've given us in this thread, I recommend the S795-33 with the 33E stamp option. Just don't forget that you will also need the 15-224 inverted link. You can place an order for these parts directly on our website whenever you'd like. 

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.