Window Balancers

A quick learner from phoenixbille PA says:

Hello, think I contacted you in fall, but it got cold so didn't go further. Have windows needing balancers: two sizes. Please see attached photos. Shorter unit stamped "16 A". Longer stamped "2210 BSI BP". Used to order these from hardware stores, but most are gone or don't know what I mean. I appreciate any help you can give me so I can get some before ones I have break. Thank you, Rebecca

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230329_130723.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230329_130728.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

We'd be happy to help, Rebecca. The 23" balance looks like an S370-23. For a stamp option, choose 2210. The 17" balances is a bit trickier. I don't recognize the top fitting or attachment and suspect it might be damaged. Could you check the other balance from this window, or from an identical window in the house? I suspect most likely that the top fitting does have wings, and therefore this is also an S370-17, stamped 1610. But please confirm to be certain. Let us know what you find. 

A home owner from Phoenixbille PA says:

Hi, I appreciate your quick response. I just took the smaller bathroom window apart to take photos. Now I can't get the liftable window out, cannot close it completely, and am afraid to force it - probably due to needing the balancers. I don't have any more. My son will have to help me with it.

I always kept spares; but as I mentioned, I have been unable to get them. The kitchen window is the other smaller one, but I am afraid to do anything with that as I might not be able to close it or secure it.

The windows are metal with the storm windows on the inside, the part that raises is behind them, with the screen on the outside of the unit. Is it possible to still get windows like that? I don't have central air in the house so need functional windows. Probably need new windows but am unable to do that.

The balance pieces are just like the photos/videos you forwarded. There is the clip in the window, as in the attached photos, to lever out from the frame to remove the liftable window.

When researching the parts on line, sites said to measure only the metal part, not including the plastic wings, so that is how I measured.

Thanks, Rebecca

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20240416_132745_359.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20240416_132805_944.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

I have honestly never seen this kind of balance set up before. Are you sure this is the same kind of balance as what you showed me back on the 9th? This appears to be a different configuration. Instead of a channel balance assembly that hooks into the track, I just see a bare spring directly installed in the track itself.

All I can say for sure is that this is a very old window. If you are sure that it's the same kind of balance as what you showed me already, then the same principle of identification would apply: we need to see its nylon fittings, stamp, and get the length of the metal channel to verify the Series.

A home owner from Phoenixbille PA says:

Hi, I am sending two photos of the reverse of the balancers that shows more detail. All house windows are the same; installed when the house was built. The two balancers are the

same except for the hooks at the bottom of the spring: one hook is pointed, the other is flat. (They may have been ordered from different companies when I ordered in the past.) The longer one is intact as it is new and unused. The shorter one was used and the top wings have broken off.

If Swisco is unable to help, is there anyone else you can recommend who might carry them?

I really appreciate your assistance with this.

Thanks, Rebecca

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20240417_201659503.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20240417_201825297.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Well, the good news is that these look like typical balances. If you're saying that these came out of the window you showed me pictures of in your previous post, then I suppose you should be okay using our hardware.

I was just taken aback by the design of the window itself. It is not a design I've ever encountered before.

Assuming the wings broke off the top fitting on the older balance, then I still feel confident that our Series 370 is a good option to consider. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.