Window Part Replacement

A handy person from Newton, NJ says:
Dave,
Have two problem windows:
!. When I unlock window, top portion comes crashing down. will not stay up if not locked. Pictures 418, 420,421 show that there is a missing part on left side empty slot, the spiral for the bottom sash and the right side with the slot filled in.
2. Different window, bottom portion will not stay up.
Pictures 413 and 411 show the spiral for the window which will not stay up.

Please let me know if there is any other pictures you require.
Thank you,
Thomas
I am the owner of the home and a handy person. We are planning on putting the home on the market in a few weeks and would like to fix the windows, instead of replacing. Please assist as soon as you can. I understand the 4-7 days-getting back to me.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0411.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0413.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0418.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0420.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0421.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there, Thomas.

It sounds like you need new window balances. Considering this is a tilt window, either the 3/8" Series 900 or 5/8" Series 600 are my recommendations. You'll have to measure the outer tube to determine the best Series for your window. We can help with the pivot shoe but we will need to see it removed from the window track along with the written out thickness and width dimensions. 

As for the part that fits into that slot, can you remove it from the window and show us some photos? 

Emily,
First thank you for your quick response, much appreciated. Have enclosed more pictures showing size of springs, broken pivot and good pivot. My real concern is how to put the pivots in? One picture shows the top with out the spring. Not sure how to get pivots in, they are broken on both sides.
I will need a tool and additional spring to other window, in total I think I need 5. They look to be 18" by 1/2 " wide, my guess.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0438.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0439.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0440.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0441.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0442.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

To remove the pivot shoe, you will need to make a cut out in the window track as shown in the video below. We also sell the 75-006 charging tool for tilt windows. We will just need to see an undamaged pivot shoe removed from the window including the written-out thickness and width in order to ID a replacement.

It's hard to make out accurate dimensions from photos but it looks like the outer tube diameter may be 9/16" (considered 5/8" in the trade). If that's the case, the Series 600 is what you want. 

Emily,
Sorry, having a lot of problems with my windows. I have enclosed a new picture. The pivot shoe does not have a slot to get the window out. It has what appears to be a slid, which allows the window to be removed. Looking at the picture you can see how the pivot bar fits into the pivot slot, the pivot has no opening to twist the window out. Your guide shows exactly how the shoe is designed. There is a slot in the window at the bottom that looks like a way to move the pivot out of the track. For the life of me I cannot get it to move, I used WD 40 to try and get it to slide out to get the window to get out of the channel. Any suggestions? I got the tool for the springs, just cannot get the window out.
Cannot believe how these windows work. Thanks for your assistance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_E0447-adjusted.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I am not sure if you tried this method to remove the sash to get to the pivot bars but raise the bottom sash about six inches, unlatch the top tilt latches and swing the sash down towards you. Hold each side of the sash and try twisting the sash where you raise one side while lower the other side. This should unhook the pivot bar from the pivot shoe.

Paul,
Outstanding videos, got the windows out. Just want to make sure of what to order. Enclosed are pictures of broken pivot and another spring. It is different than the other one I uploaded. The Real Estate guy wants the windows fixed ASAP. So I will be paying more for overnight shipping, I just need to know what to order for the smaller springs, the other spring one looks like the orange/red that you sent me a picture of. The pivot looks to be a bit over 1/2', so I guess 5/8" looks correct.
Please verify.
I really appreciate Emily and you responding quickly, painful to sell a house.
Thank you again, Thomas
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0473.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0475.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0481.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0484.JPG
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

If the outer tube diameter for the smaller balance is 9/16", then the Series 600 is my recommendation. As for the pivot shoe, the 15-047 measures 5/8" thick and the width is 1-1/4". Take a look and see how our specifications align with an undamaged version of your old shoe. 

It's our pleasure to help. We will be here whenever you need us! 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.