Window Sash Spring Balancer - CertainTeed Double Hung Window

A home owner from Ocean City, New Jersey says:
I am trying to replace the spring balancer on my CertainTeed windows. The spring measures 3/4 of an inch. I can't see a part number on the actual spring. I've provided a picture of the window description and three separate pictures of the spring. We had a handyman who thought it may be a "407" spring.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balancer1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balancer2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balancer3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CertianTeed Window Description.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! The shoe looks like our Certainteed brand 15-192, which means the spring is our Series 170. Unfortunately, without a stamp, I can't be sure what option you need. Can you tell me the exact weight of the sash? Please be as precise as possible, down to the ounce. Can you also confirm that your window only has one coil spring on each side?

Thanks for your follow up. It may take some time for me to get back to you. The window is at our summer home in Ocean City and we live in Pennsylvania. Given the current "stay at home" orders in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, it may be some time before I can get back to the property and weigh the sash.

You say "without a stamp", can you elaborate on what you mean? Where would there be a "stamp". I need to check but believe that there is a coil spring on each side for each sash. What other configurations are there?

Ok. I went back and viewed one of the videos attached. I now understand where to find a "stamp". I had looked previously for a number on the coil without luck. I will look again when I am back at the property. I now understand the question about "one coil spring on each side". The answer to that question is "yes".There is only one coil spring attached to the shoe.
Profile picture of Tom

Great! That makes things a lot easier. Typically, what we do is get the sash weight and then divide it by how many springs are on each side of the sash. In your case, 2. So for example, if your sash weighs 12 pounds, then you'd want an S170-406 on each side of the window. These carry 6 pounds each. 

The first two digits of the "406" portion of that product code represent how many inches of travel the spring has: 40". You'll note that the Series 170 has several springs that have the same weight capacity but different travel lengths, like 33" or 40". To clear that up now, 40" is standard in the industry these days. We opt to go for that in each instance.

I've now had a chance to visit to property. The spring that I asked about is for a sash that weighs 16.3 pounds. I also noticed a broken spring on a larger window. This window has 2 springs on each side. The springs are 3/4 inches in width and the sash weighs 24.5 pounds. Please see the photos for the second window/springs described above.
In either case, I couldn't find the number stamped on the spring.
Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring2-1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring2-2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring2-3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring2-4.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

If your sash is 16.3 pounds, then you can go with one S170-408 spring on each side. These carry 8 pounds each, which should be perfect.

The photos you're showing here look identical to the other balance system, so you would just go over everything we've talked about already to determine the best replacement.

Thanks Tom for the follow up. A follow up question on the spring for the second window. So since the window sash weighs 24.5 pounds and there are 4 springs used to support the sash [i.e. - two springs on each side], then I should use a S170-406 as a replacement? Does this make sense to you?
Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom

Yes! That makes perfect sense. That's pretty much all there is to it, though I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about that process.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.