Window Spring/Balance

A home owner from Connecticut says:

We do not know the make or model of the window. We've looked everywhere possible. All we have is the piece that popped out. Seems like the top piece (spring) broke off the bottom part.

Thank you.

John

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Full Window Balance.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Spring.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in! I am confident we can supply you with the tilt window spiral balances needed for your window, however, I'll need a bit more information to confirm. It would be best for you to locate an undamaged balance from a similar window and you'll need to remove it. This is so that we can ensure we are providing you with the most accurate replacement.

Start by reviewing the videos below for removing these balances and the information needed to identify the.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Hi Jasmine,

That's great! So we were able to remove an undamaged balance, attached are 3 photos. Please let me know the next steps.

Thanks,

John

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 3.jpg

Hi John,

I'll still need to know the other details requested in the provided video. These include the diameter of the balance (which should be 3/8" or 5/8") as well as the tip color of the balance. If there is no colored tip, I'll need to know the exact weight of your sash.

Please type out the measurement as it is difficult to read the measuring tape from the photos.

Let me know if you have any questions.

OK, sorry about that. I will get the measurements and send them over in the next day or two.

Thanks,

John

Okay, great! Please send them when you are able.

A quick learner from Connecticut says:
Hi Jasmine,

Below are the measurements as well attached photos.

Tube length: 26 1/4" see photo
Outer Tube dimension: 3/8"
Tip: Blue see photo

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks,
John
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 6 IMG_4488.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 5 IMG_4489.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 4 IMG_4492.jpg

Thanks for confirming this information. I would suggest our S900-27 tilt window spiral balance.

To select the correct tip color for your balances, you'll need to obtain the exact weight of your sash. The options avaialble for this balance are red (which supports a sash weighing between 10 to 22lbs) or yellow (which supports a sash weighing between 24 to 34lbs).

Please let me know if your sash weighs anything more than 34lbs.

Jasmine,

Thank you for the suggested window balance. However, regarding the tip color, we mentioned above that it is blue. Do we still need to weigh the sash?

Thanks,
John

Hi John,

Yes, you will still need to weigh the sash. As detailed above, there are only two tip color choices for the balance you have. We have a red tip and a yellow tip available. So they only way to know which one you'll need will be to weigh the sash and determine the range your sash weight falls between.

OK, understood. Thank you. I'll get back to you with the information soon.

Thank you.

Hi John,

Once you've confirmed the sash weight, please refer to the paragraph above. I've listed the weight ranges there.

They are also listed on the product page for the recommended balance below the product description. 

You'll be able to make your purchase through the website when you are ready, rather than waiting on a response from me.

I hope this helps!

We have determined the sash weighs 19.621 lbs. That would mean we need the balance with a red tip, is that correct? Can you provide the SKU # so we know exactly which one to order?

Thanks,
John

As mentioned, the suggested part is our S900-27 spiral balance. You will need the red tip for the 19.6lb window. You can access the product page by using this link or by accessing the link below.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.