Window balances

A quick learner from Texas says:
I do not see any identifying wording, but I have not been able to remove these parts yet. I was hoping to accomplish the removal and replacement in all one repair session.

I am an accomplished DIY-er, but the window is heavy as it measures 42" by 32" approximately, so I will need to find a helper for the lifting. I have replaced window balances before, but not this style. I'm hoping you can help me identify which replacement parts to order. Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4167.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4168.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4169.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4170.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4171.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. This is a coil balance setup. Most likely this is a 15-087 Shoe, which uses Series 180 Coil Balances. However, without seeing the cam of the shoe I can't be 100% certain. You're going to want to make sure it matches what is shown below. If it doesn't, let me know.

Detail of 15-087
Detail of 15-087

These kinds of balance systems are modular, meaning each piece is sold separately and in theory you only need to replace what is broken. The tandem housing is the 15-086. The Mounting Bracket up the track is the 16-024. Finally, for replacing the coil springs you have to choose spring weights for each one. The spring weight represents the weight each individual coil can support. There may be stamps on the springs themselves that indicate this. If there are none however, or you're uncertain, the best thing to do is to weigh the window sash. Give us that exact weight and we can work out what you need.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of choice in having to take the window apart first to identify the shoe, and to get the sash weight or the coil stamps. 

The diagram below shows how all these components come together. The video below shows how to remove and replace a slightly different coil balance system, one in which just the shoe moves with the window sash, while the other components stay in place--but it might be helpful to get an idea of how to remove these parts all the same. Let me know if you have further questions.

Detail of 15-087
Detail of 15-087

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.