Window crank replacement

A quick learner says:
We need to find two metal cranks for the attached window pictures.

Unfortunately, I do not have a model number for them.

Please let me know if you are able to find a replacement for them.

We would like to keep the existing mechanism, but change the handles. However since a stone sill was installed, the original handles didn't have clearance. That's why the contractor had plastic handles and those are the ones we would like to have in metal.

We cannot see or find any numbers on the hardware.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8097 (1).JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8096 (1).JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8095 (1).JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8094 (1).JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8088 (6).JPEG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

Thank you for reaching out to us. We may have a replacement handle for this but we'll need more information to confirm. Can you write out the diameter of the hole in the handle? And would we be able to see a photo of this operator removed from the window? 

A professional from NY says:
Hello Emily,

Please see pictures attached.

Hope this helps.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

It's difficult to make out accurate measurements from photos, unfortunately. Would it be possible for you to write them out instead? 

Sure, sorry about that.

It looks like the outside diameter of the handle is 7/16", however the gear that's attached to the mechanism is 5/16".
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

To start, the handle you now have is one that is used on mobile home windows but take a look at the 39-118 and 39-121. They look similar to what you have here but I'm surprised they worked based on the spline size.

If you wanted to change the operators, take a look at 39-001 and 39-002 along with the 39-422 extension. See if these operators will match up and that the 2" extension is long enough to clear the sill. I also recommend having a look at the 39-466, 39-467, 39-138, and 39-139. See if these operators match up and could be used using the 39-157 extension. 

Take note I believe you might need to replace the window track with the 39-504 to use with these types of operators if the existing track is not the correct size. To be honest, it might be best to replace the windows with one that is shorter so that the operator clears the sill or possibly a slider or double-hung window. That would eliminate the operators completely.

Hello Dave,

Just so you know, what we have doesn't work, it doesn't latch to the original gear, not sure if the handle should have a smaller hole so it latches. Because these plastic ones we have, they come out too easily.

Take a look at the 39-157 and 39-337 extensions. These extensions fit an operator with a spline at 11/32". I went back in our warehouse and tried them on the 39-044 and 39-045 operators similar to yours with a spline at 5/16" and it seem to fit. With that said, I think it is worth a try on your operator. You will also need to use the 39-114 crank handle to go along with the extensions listed. This might be your best solution. Review the specifications and see what you think. 

Thank you Dave.

Our contractor is getting the 4" crank extension.

Thank you for all your help.

You are very welcome. Good luck with the repair and let us know if you need anything else!

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.