Window restoration

A quick learner says:
Hello,

I have windows that I believe are original from the 1950s. Some of them do not stay up properly. They have spring balances. Can I replace these springs to restore them? I can provide more photos if that would help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3354.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3355.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! You may be able to replace your old springs with a spiral balance like our Series 500, along with a 17-012 bracket to help it mount to the bottom of the sash. I use this combination of products for tons of older wood windows and I find that it works great, you just need to make sure you have room on the sides of the window for the 9/16" diameter tube.

You'll also need to gather data before you buy anything to ensure that you get the right size. To calculate length, measure the height of the visible glass and add 3" for the balance supporting the bottom sash and 1" for the balance supporting the top sash. For example, if the visible glass height is 20" for both top and bottom sashes, then you want to get a 23" balance to support the bottom and a 21" to support the top.

Make sure that you don't measure the full height of the sash. That won't give you an accurate measurement. Only measure the visible glass.

As for strength, you can simply weigh your sash on a scale and refer to the chart we show on each Series 500 store page. We list how much weight each strength option supports, so just pick accordingly.

Hopefully this information helps, but please feel free to reach out if I can be of any further assistance.

How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.