convert double hung to tilt windows

A quick learner from Wisconson says:
Would like to convert about 20 conventional double hung windows to tilt out style windows. It appears SWISCO has the hardware parts for the job. Has anyone done this? Which parts work best? I did the original design on the house and think these were 'Crestline' but i'm not positive. Jamb slot is 3 3/8 inches wide. These are spring loaded jambs. One side is about 3/8 inch deep and the other is about one inch to one and 1/4 inches deep. Camera is'nt working so can't send photo now. Any help or ideas are welcome. I could cut wood inserts to accomodate some of the parts.
Dennis
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello, Dennis. This kind of project is always tricky, but we may have a few suggestions. Before we get started, I will need to see a few pictures of the jamb and the sash, especially the fittings that the sash currently has. That will allow us to decide what you can convert to.
A quick learner from Missouri says:
Would like to convert about 13 conventional double hung windows to tilt out style windows. It appears SWISCO has the hardware parts for the job. Has anyone done this? Which parts work best? Jamb slot is 3 3/8 inches wide. These are spring loaded jambs. the cutouts in the sash are 5/8" wide and just a we bit deeper than 5/8 I believe. The are slightly rounded at the bottom of the cutout as seen in the pictures.Camera is'nt working so can't send photo now. Any help or ideas are welcome. I could cut wood inserts to accomodate some of the parts.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Ah, I see. I'm afraid you won't be able to use a different kind of balance for these windows. Your springs are built into the jamb liners, meaning the balance in question quite literally is the jamb liner.

Your only option is to go to a local mill work and have them set you up with new jamb liners. They should be able to make a tilt-type for you, but it will be the same overall style.

A quick learner from Missouri says:
I see. Well, many thanks to you and for your advice.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.