international brand handle and astragal

A home owner from los angeles says:
i believe this is missing a molding astragal for the clamp to bite onto and close the gap. I would ideally replace this handle with a keyed entry locking one instead. Doesn't look like they are manufactured anymore but maybe someone has one in stock. any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 443C2816-36A0-462F-91C9-E9794E1C02C2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 744D8011-EBBA-45D3-B1D3-BABD232AD641.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I don't believe we'll be able to get you an exact match for this handle set. I do have a solution in mind, but it won't be a pretty setup. Basically, I think you could use our 82-005 surface mount handle set. Like the handle you have now, this just screws to the door and doesn't use any internal mechanism in the door to lock. It has its own self-contained lock hook. 

What makes me recommend the 82-005 is that it's compatible with our 89-012 face-mount keeper. This will install on the opposite door and give the 82-005 something to lock into.

Let me know what you think.

A home owner from los angeles says:
thank you- sure I could make that work but I know I need to close that gap a little bit also but I need one with a keyed entry. in aluminum if possible
thx
jamie
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sorry about that, I must have overlooked that detail. You can use our 82-306 keyed outer handle. This is fully compatible with the inside handle included in the 82-005 kit. I'm afraid we don't have these in aluminum, though. The only thing we have that would fit that description is our 82-060, but this has the same "clamp" style latch as what you have now and will not work.

Keep in mind that the handle you have now is almost certainly a repair part. There's a good chance that your door had something entirely different installed originally, and whatever it was probably hasn't been made in a long, long time. Your options will be limited no matter what you go with. This applies for the astragal, as well. That'd have to be something you'd have to get from the original makers of the door and there's no guarantee they're even still in business. I'm not sure where you could find something like that.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.