looking for a balance coil replacement

A home owner from Reading, PA says:

Hi there,

I'm looking for a window balance coil replacement. As seen in the attached picture, the broken coil shows number 3 stamped on it.

Please advise if you have any available parts matching this coil. I guess it will be wise to replace both coils at same time, even the other one still works. Should I replace the pivot shoe also?

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230409_121803.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Daniel. This coil spring looks like it could be a match for our Series 160. Note that this is 1/2" thick, but there are other sizes. I recommend that you measure the band to ensure that it's the same size. The S160-3 is rated to hold 3.5 pounds per spring.

Assuming 1/2" is accurate, then you can also use the 15-150S cover. This is a little different from your old one but should still work the same way.

If your spring carries a different weight, or if the thickness is anything other than 1/2", let me know. I'm sure we have something that will work for you.

Lastly, you should replace both coil springs at the same time, but as long as your pivot shoe is still in good condition then you can safely reuse it.

A home owner from Reading, PA says:
Hi Tom,
Thank you for your response. Yes, the coil is 1/2" wide and probably S160-3 coil is what I need.
Regarding coil support, I was thinking that 15-150D is a better match. Not sure why did you suggest a single coil support instead of a double. However, I guess I can still use the existing coil support.
Please confirm and I will place the order.
Thank you.

Regards,
Daniel
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Oh, I'm sorry for the confusion. I thought your cover was an older version of the single coil, but if its made for double springs then the 15-150D is definitely the play. 

Last thing to note: with four 3.5 springs supporting the weight of the sash, it should weigh exactly 14 pounds. That may be something you want to double check just to be 100% sure that this is the right calibration for the springs. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.