Spiral Balance Replacement/Wooden Window

A handy person from Mendham NJ says:

I am replacing the lower sash of a window as part of a bathroom remodel in a first floor addition to my house. The original part of the house is from the 1860s and the extension was built in the early 1950s. I had the lower sash made at the same time I was replacing a lower sash in the original part of the house which has rope and pulley setup. They reused two original windows and put in two multi pane picture windows and one regular sized window on the addition. I did not realize that the reused windows were retrofitted in the fifties with non tilt spiral balances along with the new (in 1950) other wooden windows with thin aluminum tracks on each side (I guess the Anderson or Pella window of their day- I will send exterior shot in separate email).

The new wooden lower sash replacement seems to weigh about 10 pds., according to the bathroom scale and is approximately 28 in high and 32 in wide. The upper sash is stationary and is not being replaced. The existing spiral balance had a flimsy plastic cover on it that is now cracked. The spring part, see pic is a rusty 27 in long.

Please advise if my contractor needs to open a channel all the way down the side of the sash like they did when the retrofitted the old window in 1950. And deep and wide should it be. What can determine whether 3/8 or 9/16 if it a new sash and we probably have create new channel. What is best way to attach the spiral balance to the window and do we have to route out whole length of wind

Hope all this information helps. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience as this turned out to be and issue when we realized it was not rope and pulley.

Anxious to talk with you. You have a great reputation online for promoting and professional service. Now that I know more about spiral balance I think I will tackle replacement of the spiral balances in the other 1950s windows as the balances are shot and I thought I was going to to replace all the windows.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sash length
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sash cutout
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance bracket
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spiral tube
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sash frame
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We can't make any guarantees since the sash is being replaced, which may change the functionality of the window, but many older wood windows use the Series 500 spiral balances. This could work for your application as long as your original balance tubes have a diameter of 5/8". 

How to measure the length of the Series 500 spiral balance.
How to measure the length of the Series 500 spiral balance.

If so, take a look at the S500-27 spiral balances with red tip options to support a sash between 7-29 lbs. We also offer the 17-012 sash brackets for installation, as well as the 75-005 charging tool. Take a look and let us know if you have any other questions. 

Dimensions for 17-012
Dimensions for 17-012

Additional dimensions for 17-012
Additional dimensions for 17-012

A handy person from Mendham NJ says:
Sorry for the delayed response. I was going to cover this with my contractor today but he ended up stuck at another job. I have to review the videos again. I looks like the Series 500 balance hooks on to the bracket, the current bracket is permanently attached with rivet. I will get back to you if I have any other questions.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

The spiral tip fixed to the sash bracket is an older style that is no longer available. The new style S500 and 17-012 bracket would work the same way as long as the dimensions match up. We also offer the 75-005 tool to charge the spiral balances and attach the tip to the bracket. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.