sgd-r35-71x80 Need entire handle set

A quick learner from Merrimack, NH says:

Hi there. Long story short. A few years ago, I had a locksmith alter the key lock, on the sgd-r35-71x80 , to match my other home locks. Well, now the door cannot lock from the inside. The mortis keeps sticking. At this point, I don't need a lock to match. Just want a door locking handle and mortis..can you recommend parts?

Liz 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231015_094601.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231015_094637.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231015_094553.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231011_161801.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231105_110145.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Liz. It sounds like it's possible the main culprit here is the mortise lock. If you haven't already, try removing the handle set and then manually throwing the lock with a slotted screwdriver. If it doesn't work well or at all, then you know the mortise lock has to go. Our 82-218 should replace it. 

Check to see if the tailpiece of the thumb latch as well as the key lock cylinder are damaged. If they and the handle set are otherwise intact, you should be able to reuse it. Did the 'sticking' begin immediately after the locksmith set this up? If so, it's entirely possible the tailpiece of the key lock wasn't cut properly, and it's rubbing up against the tailpiece of the thumb lever. Cutting the tailpiece properly should fix that issue.

Otherwise, I believe our 82-030 should work as a replacement for the handle set. Note that the 82-030's thumb lever is perfectly 'centered' between the two mounting holes, rather than closer to the bottom than the top. I can't entirely tell if that's the case with yours; I think it should be since the key lock on the outside is centered, but it's possible your handyperson installed everything a bit unusually. Note that you'll need to cut the tailpiece of the key lock on this replacement handle set properly as well. The video below shows how to do this for a different key lock, but the principles are the same. Take a look. Let me know if you have any questions about anything I've outlined here.

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.