single hung tilt in windows - latches, frame, balancer

A quick learner from Oakland, CA says:
I have three of these windows, photos show two of them. The window latch and tilt-in latches need to be replaced. There is also some damage to the window frames, wondering if there's a way to fix the vinyl there. Lastly, at least one of them is missing a balancer - is it possible to find a replacement that I can install myself?
Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 230809_unknown_SHtilt_4_1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 230809_unknown_SHtilt_4_2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 230809_unknown_SHtilt_4_3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 230809_unknown_SHtilt_5_1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 230809_unknown_SHtilt_5_2.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but we would need to see a clear top-down photo of your sash lock and for you to write out the exact distance between the installation hole centers to compare to our inventory. 

As for the missing balance, you can absolutely install a replacement yourself. We'll need to see one of the originals removed from the window to determine if we carry a suitable replacement. Make sure to show both ends and any numbers stamped on the metal channel. 

It also looks like you need new glazing, which holds the glass in place within the sash frame. To research your replacement options, we'll need to see a clear end file of an undamaged piece removed from the frame. See the videos below to help you through the process. Thank you. 

A quick learner says:
Thanks Tom!

I was able to get better information on the latches. For the frame and balancer I will need my husband to help me remove the windows, so I will get back to you about those a little later.

For the middle latch, the holes are 2 1/8" on center and it is 2 3/4" long. It is 1" wide on top and 1 1/16" wide at the base. One of the middle latches that I removed was stamped "ACTIVE CO 718-762-8407" on the underside.

For the side latches, the holes are 2" on center and they are 3" x 7/8" in dimension.

Does this help to match it?

Thanks!
Anna

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2023-08-16 15.32.55.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2023-08-16 15.33.06.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2023-08-16 15.33.15.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2023-08-16 15.36.59.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

As mentioned in our responses to your other two posts, unfortunately, we do not carry any sash locks with 2-1/8" hole spacing. We do offer the 90-278 and 90-282 recessed keeper but you would need to carefully review the dimensions below to determine if they could work for your application.

Dimensions for 90-278
Dimensions for 90-278

Dimensions for 90-282
Dimensions for 90-282

Alternate view of 90-282
Alternate view of 90-282

As for your tilt latch, take a look and compare the specifications below to an undamaged version of your part. 

Alternate image for 26-435
Alternate image for 26-435

A quick learner says:
Hi Tom,
In the process of removing a balancer, I observed that one of the frames on the window is damaged. What would be the way to fix this?
Balancer photos and glazing profile to be shared shortly...
Thanks,
Anna
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named WhatsApp Image 2023-08-20 at 16.43.15.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named WhatsApp Image 2023-08-20 at 16.43.22.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named WhatsApp Image 2023-08-20 at 16.46.43.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named WhatsApp Image 2023-08-20 at 16.47.33.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named WhatsApp Image 2023-08-20 at 16.47.51.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately, framing is not something that we are able to supply, which would be specific to the manufacturer. I'm sorry that we won't be able to help with that part of your repair but we'll still need to see your balance and glazing photos to compare to our inventory.

How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.