tilt latches

A quick learner from chicago says:

Hi! I have ordered from Swisco before, and was really pleased to find that you can supply parts for the vinyl windows at our apartment building. I had to take a sash in for glass replacement, and in the process of getting the sash out, broke the left latches on both top and bottom sashes. Window was tight, very dirty, and plastic was brittle, so I don't know if it could have come out easier. Window company (not the original maker) was unhelpful about the latches, apparently hoping I would order a complete replacement window!

Anyway, it looks like the distinction between your 26-243/44 and 26-419/20 is in the 'tooth' on the underside. However I am finding it hard to see the difference in your photos. It looks like the tooth is the same length but is being measured differently.

In the latch I brought home, as you can see the tooth is partly broken off. That happened when I removed it, as you recommend, with screwdriver and taps from a hammer.

Does the stamped '75' tell you anything about which model it is I need? How about patent # 5,139,291?

When I learn which it is, I'll probably order several pairs just to have backups.

Thank you for having such an amazingly helpful and informative site. I have been looking at your blog entries and am very impressed at the service you provide, so rare with today's throw-it-away attitude.

Looking at photo #3 I can see something almost invisible to the naked eye: there appears to be a score line on the tooth, where it broke off, and the score marks look to be where you're measuring the tooth to. So what I need is likely #243.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6442.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6441.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6440.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6439.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! The difference between the two is just a small fraction of a measurement. I've included the diagrams below so that you can confirm the measurements.

It is likely you'll need the 26-243 as that is the most commonly used, however, it would not hurt to double check. Look over the dimensions to confirm which is the best fit.

Here are the dimensions for 26-243.

Alternate view of 26-243
Alternate view of 26-243

Here are the dimensions for part 26-419.

Alternate view of 26-419
Alternate view of 26-419

How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.