trying to find the right channel balance (im guessing these are old)

A handy person from Grass Valley, CA says:
I have a 25"L, 1/2"W Channel Balance with the stamp "2490BSI/ML 28" with a shoe width of 1-3/32

This is an 150 year old Victorian.

Also, would it be correct to assume I should replace both at the same time?

Thx for any insight.
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

I'm not able to identify your channel balance without photos. Can you remove an undamaged balance from the window and show us some photos? The related video will detail what we'd like to see. 

Note, your 2490 stamp is outdated which means we'll need to know the weight of the window sash in order to re-calibrate the spring strength.  

A handy person from Grass Valley, CA says:
Hi, the sash is 16.4lb.

The end shoes have wings and all the other info i previously gave. Any help is appreciated.

Thx
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230706_133040.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230706_133018.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230706_133032.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thank you kindly for getting back to me. If the balance's bottom fitting is 1-3/32" deep then you would want the S385-25. However, note that the 28 number at the end of the stamp sometimes indicates the sash weight. A pair of balances with the 2460 strength option can support a sash weighing 27 to 30 pounds. Just something to keep in mind.

For a 16.4-pound sash, I'd recommend the 2430 stamp for a sash weighing 15 to 19 pounds. And yes, you're correct! You always want to replace the balances on both sides of the window at the same time. 

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.