vinyl glazing bead from cotch craft aluminum windows

A handy person from Texas says:
glazing bead from cotch craft aluminum windows installed about 35 years ago. Trying to figure out what I need to order to replace. Can't find something that looks exactly like it. Wondering if there is something I can use that is an "upgrade". Do these serve more of a function than aesthetics? Do they actually help with sealing the window in someway? Thank you for your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm afraid this glazing bead is too damaged to ID. Would it be possible for us to see an undamaged end profile? That's the best way for us to narrow down your options. 

Here are some better pictures hopefully. Thank you for your time
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 641BEDC3-18C6-42F0-AD21-3C85A04D5238.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C4620988-5975-4548-B079-E4B7423E8D01.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 453055ED-8F45-4A52-97EC-90C6AEE4FFD2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 10F46623-39C2-4E52-9B2D-9261A3BD1AB6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F0517047-18BB-4EC1-99BC-C86797B1EA08.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

It's still hard to say. The shape in your third photo reminds me of our 55-080 but I'm not sure if this is what you have. Compare the specifications and see what you think. 

profile view of 55-080
profile view of 55-080

It looks slightly different. My other question is what is the purpose of the glazing. Does it create a seal of some sort?
Profile picture of Emily

My apologies for missing that! The purpose of glazing is to keep the glass in the frame. 

Hello again! I was wondering when replacing this glazing if it have to be an exact match or can it be be something similar? Even the one you suggested is not exact.

Would something like 55-006-6 work? I aske because this comes in bronze which would better match my windows.

Thank you
Profile picture of Emily

It's possible, in some cases, to use a similar-looking glazing bead if there isn't an exact match for the original though it may take some adaptation. However, we can't confirm if something like the 55-006-6 would work for you. The glazing bead in your first and second batch of photos appears to be worn so it's tough to make out the original shape. 

Let me know if you'd like to order some samples! Our maximum is 5 and you would just have to pay for shipping. Note, there are some of our glazing that we can't offer a sample for but if you can tell me the ones you'd like to test, I can tell you if we can offer them as samples or not. 

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
Replacing Glazing Bead and Glass in an Aluminum Window Sash
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
How to Replace Vinyl Window Glazing Bead
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
How to Replace Insulated Glass in an Aluminum Window with Snap-In Glazing
GUIDE
READ >
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
How to Replace Glazing in a Vinyl Window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.