SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

door latch material

A home owner from California says:
My sliding glass door handle breaks about every 5 years. My 8 ft. high door has always been extremely hard to open. The tracks bind (like the door is too wide for the track) and the door is very heavy.

I am looking at replacing my current handle with your 82-034. The side torque puts undue strain on my current handle. The 82-034 handle appears to be a bit more in-line with the slide path, but there will still be some side torque. A strong material would be called for here. What material is the 82-034 made out of?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The 82-034 is a die cast handle, so it's fairly strong, but I don't think a stronger handle will fix your problem. If your door is having a problem dragging then you should either lubricate the track with something like our 75-077, or even consider replacing the rollers and track cover. You should not have to work to open your door!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)