SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

double hung balance ID

A quick learner from Colorado says:
Do you have any suggestions for replacing these balances on an early 1950's wood double hung? What other information might you need? I have several different size sashes but they all have this type of balance.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting! I think you should consider our Series 500 spiral balance. You will also need a bracket like our 17-007 or 17-012. Check these parts out and see what you think.

If you don't know what length balance you need, please tell me the height of the visible glass for this window sash and I will give you my suggestion.
A quick learner from Colorado says:
I was looking at your spiral balances and thinking that might be the way I have to go. I cannot find a balance like the ones in the photo anywhere. The visible glass height in my sashes is 24". Once we get the length, I'll order a few and test them out. Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Great! In that case, I recommend our S500-27. This Series has been used by wood window manufacturers since WWII and have been very dependable. I also think you should consider our 75-005 tool.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)