double hung tilt window triple spring replacement

A handy person from westfield, IN says:
I have a broken spring. The 140 series is very close but it appears that it would be too wide to get in. My slide slot is Wide enough but the returns only have 3/4" between them. Also how do you tell what weight to order.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
There should be a cut out in your jamb to allow the balance to slip in. As for the weight, you will have to weigh your window sash and divide it by two. For example, if your window sash weighs 24 pounds, you will want the S140-12. Each of these balances can carry 12 pounds by themselves, so two working together can support a 24 pound sash.
A quick learner from westfield, IN says:
The original had 3 springs but the window probably weighs about 30 lbs. Not sure why they had the extra spring. Only 1 side is bad but it may be better to replace both sides so I am sure I am evenly matched.
Profile picture of Tom
Yes, it's always best to replace both sides at the same time. You should get an exact weight for your sash, as well. These are delicate systems and it's important to only get exactly what you need. Estimations are not advised.
The sash only weighs 20 lbs. Why would they put a triple on that originally. I want to order a set so it seems that I would go now with the direction you gave. For a 20 lb sash, what should I order.
Profile picture of Tom
Like I said above, you would just split the weight in half. Since you have a 20 pound sash, I think our S140-10 is a good way to go. Each of these balances can hold up 10 pounds, individually.
Thank you I will order a pair of S140-10
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.