SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

egress hardware Anderson window

A handy person from Vermont says:
I need to purchase egress hdw for 33 x 26 awning window. Any possiblities?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I do not believe awning windows can be used for egress. The problem is with the hinges and operator. The 36-013-10 hinge set is made to drop down when it opens so you can possible wash both sides from inside the house. The travel of the operator only allows so much of an opening (see image below). I think you are going to have to make a larger opening and use a double hung window or possibly talk to a window supplier in your area and see if they can supply you with a casement window with egress hardware.
Image of the crank operator in the way of egress in an awning window.
A quick learner from westbrook ct says:
I have a 21" crank window need to convert to egress Does anyone have experience if I remove the crank and the hinges. holding the window in place with the cam locks. To gain egress open the cam and push out the window. Will it fall to the ground and permit egress? It looks like it may work. Does anyone have experience Advise Appreciate Thanks Sam
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Sam, Egress is a very hard requirement to accomplish. Normally, you need (at minimum) 5.7 square feet of clear opening. You must have a minimum of 20" clear opening on the width and minimum of 24" on the height. However, you must check with your local building codes. Each municipality is different in regards to Egress/fire safety.

Before you go too far into this project, make sure you have the proper Egress opening with the window open. If you can meet Egress, look to see if you have a small screw in the nylon shoe on your side hinges. That screw is made to create friction. If your window is not too large, you might get away with just the hinges by turning that small screw and adjusting the friction to where your window will hold open. To check for this, you'll most likely have to remove your sash from the window frame.

Good luck!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)