SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

glass sliding door seals - nailed in to wood

A quick learner from Lincoln, NE says:
I am trying to figure out what to buy for my glass slideing door. The door when shut can be pushed back and forth - not sliding open or shut but just pushing on it, it moves back and forth. The plastic seal that is part of the door has broken off and is gone. I would like to replace it. It is not the brush weather stripping at the back of the door. This is the plastic trim that goes from bottom to top and across the top. In the picture I am standing inside the house, you can see the trim and the door shut. The second picture is me standing inside the sliding door facing the trim on the edge that shuts and locks the door. Notice the plastic seal on the outside is still there but the plastic seal on the inside is gone. It is also gone at the top.
User submitted a photo of weather seal.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I cannot identify this seal based on your pictures. I need you to remove a small piece and show me a picture from an angle that clearly shows its profile. I will also need the dimensions of its profile. Thank you!
A quick learner from Lincoln Ne says:
So I'll try again. I can't really get a piece out unless I take the door apart. So I will try again. So the 2nd picture is standing outside the house. The door slides to the left and I am taking a picture of the top right corner. Notice the plastic piece in the middle. it is 1/2" X 1/2" and is nailed to the jam. It seals the outside the door. On the inside should be another plastic piece but it is gone and all you can see is wood. This leaves a gap when the door is closed. The door shuts and slides between these 2 1/2" square pieces to help seal the door. The 1st picture is the top outside piece that I pulled down a little but it doesn't come out unless you take the sliding part of the door out. Again it is nailed in like the others. The piece that I pulled is the outside part of the sliding door and the inside piece is gone and again it causes a gap and the door to set in loose in the housing.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
It's so hard to identify this weatherstripping without seeing the profile. Every kind of weatherstripping more or less looks the same once it's installed. That said, take a look at our 58-056 push-in type, the 58-169 nail in type, and the 3/8" tall 58-180 stick on type. See if you can use any of these on your door.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)