SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

help choosing replacement balance

A home owner from Monahans, TX says:
I need help choosing a replacement balance. My windows are about 28" x 35 ", with 6 panes per sash. The existing balances are 5/8" by 27", but have a metal end, not a colored end. These balances are more than 50 years old. Any advice on which balances I should choose would be appreciated. Thanks Steve
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
We recommend you use the Series 500-27" Blue Tip Spiral Balance (be sure to select the blue tip option at the bottom, we believe this may work better with your heavier sash). You will also need the metal brackets, take a look at the 17-007 and 17-012.
A handy person from Westport, Ma says:
Could you please explain why you suggested the need for both the 17-007 and 17-012 brackets? Is one designed to go on the right side and the other on the left? Or is one designed to go into a different size grove milled into the bottom of the window?
Any additional info would be greatly appreciated; this is the first time I have been asked to word with your product.
Thanks, Jack.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Jack, I can see how my first response was a little misleading, so I went back and re-worded it a bit.

The 17-007 Bracket is normally used for wood sashes, and the 17-012 Bracket is for metal. They are interchangeable.
A handy person from Westport, Ma says:
My single pain windows measure 56H X 35W. I used your formula in "Choose the Appropriate Coil Balance" and multiplied 28 X 35 to get 980 sq.ins., and followed the remaining directions and determined the windows weight approx. 7.99 lbs. or 8.0 lbs. So I guess I need two 4 lb. balances...Yes?
Question??? What color 500 series balances should I order ???
Additionally??? What length should I order (27, 28, 29)???

I cannot think of any other issues, but please free to add any tips you may have for installation. Thanks Jack.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
For your weight, the red tip should be okay. The "rule of thumb" for sizes of Series 500 Spiral Balances for wood sashes is to measure the height of the glass and top sash, and add 1" -- add 3" for the bottom sash.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)