SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

help finding my balances

A home owner from Lafayette, Indiana says:
Tom: My house was also built in 1995 and my balance springs look the same way. I have enclosed pictures of the hardware. I did find a number "3" by the end tab. Not sure if this is helpful or not. Also, what do you need as far as dimensions to order these spring kits? I should also mention that I have Simonton windows as well. Four of them are 36 x 60, one is 40 x 60, and one is 36 x 36. Thanks
User submitted photos of a coil window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Check out our S160-3 coil spring. For the coil housing, it looks like you use two springs on each side so see our 15-150D. For the pivot shoe, I recommend our 15-111 and for the black bumper see our 15-148. let me know what you think and remember that you only need to replace what is broken.
Paul: The parts you suggested look like what I have. I do however have a question regarding the 15-15D housing. I do have two springs per side so if I use the double coil support which screw hole do I use? From what I can tell you only use one screw to mount the support. Last thing, will the spring you selected work for all of my windows? These came out of one of the 36 x 60 units. Thanks!!!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the 15-150D housing only has one installation hole. We recommend our 33-300 assorted screw pack. The screws contained here should work for you.

The balances in this window are not necessarily the same as the balances in your other windows. It's always best to check, just in case.
Paul and Tom: I received my window parts today and after a few discouraging words got the windows working like brand new!! I thank you for your guidance with the parts selection and what you recommended worked very well. I would however like to suggest a few things for your videos. First, you need a video that shows how to use the double spring holder and how to install the springs. I first hooked the top spring into the slot in the bottom spring but I soon discovered when I was on my last window that both of the springs go into the same slot in the shoe. So I went ahead and switched the parts on the other windows. Thankfully, I had a little experience and it did not take very long but a heads up with these parts would be very helpful. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm so glad you got everything to work! Thank you for the suggestions, I'll forward that to Mike right away. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)