help id this balancer.

A handy person says:
Hi Help please. I'm sending you these 2 pictures. I have Portalume old windows. they measure 48 x 34. I do not know the model of the balance r. Is it the 200? 300? 302?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, good to see you again. We may be able to help, but I will need more information. Please tell me what the diameter of the balance tube is, as well as the weight of the window sash. Finally, I will need to know the length of the inside spiral. The best way to measure it is to stand the balance up on a table so that the white shoe is facing up. Make sure the inside spiral is pushed down as far as it can go, and then measure the balance from bottom to top, all the way to the very tip of the spiral.
A contractor from north brunswick .n.j says:
Hi there. So the width of the tube measures 9/16 - so it is a 5/8 in the trade- right? Also the tip is white. Finally the spiral measures from the end to the white tip- sticking out is 23 3/4 inches. these are old aluminum windows. Portalume. the frame measures 48 x 34. I am not able to get the sash weight. Len
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks, Lem! However, I needed to know the length of the balance from the bottom (standing it up on the table) to the very tip of the spiral itself, not the white colored bearing. For this balance, it's important that I know the full length of the inside spiral, and that is the best method. Please confirm the length of the inside spiral and we can work from there.

There's also one thing I forgot to ask before. Can you confirm the length of just the metal tube? Thank you!
A contractor from North Brunswick says:
From end to end the metal tube is 23 inches. The spiral from the white tip is 23 3/4. The white tip at the spiral is 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Total 47 inches.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you. It sounds like our S200-23 would be the closest match.
A contractor says:
OK S200-23 is the balancer. What window clip would work? I broke one installing the first time. The picture shows the 17-005 the larger one, along with the original next to it.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
For a Series 200 balance, we recommend a 17-005 clip. Could that work?
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.