help removing operator cover

A home owner from Canton ma says:
I have what looks like the 39-154 operator covers for my Anderson windows(installed in 1985) I thought removing the 2 screw and handle would allow me to "pop off" the cover. Is it attached to something else?

Thanks
User submitted a photo of a casement window operator.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think age and paint might be holding it in place. Try working it off with a putty knife.
A home owner from Illinois says:
I was having problems removing these covers, too (beyond age and paint). After damaging some window trim trying to get them off, I check around the internet and learned something helpful (that I should have noticed myself).

There is a small ridge inside the top of the covers, that fits into a little grove on the mechanism. So trying to pull/pop them off from either side of the top of the cover didn't work very well. For me, the trick was to work on popping them up & off from the top, directly behind the hole area for the crank (to pop that little ridge up and out of the groove). I used a small, 1 inch scraper that was a little flexible. Hope this helps.
A home owner from Cape Cod says:
I also checked the internet and learned that Anderson casement cover (7191-33) contains a ridge that must be lifted from a groove in the mechanism for removal. I used a small, blade screw driver inserted on either side of the ridge and gently twisted it until the ridge was out of the groove then pulled the cover away from the window. I filed off the ridge then spray painted the cover and new handle to match and reinstalled.
User submitted photos of a window operator.
A home owner from North Carolina says:
THANK YOU for pointing out this ridge!! I was on the verge of just breaking the damn thing off.
A home owner from Johnston, RI says:
I also thank you for pointing out this ridge. It's virtually impossible to remove without denting the wood when using a small screwdriver, so I'll also be removing the ridge for easier future removal. THANKS
A handy person from Cape Cod says:
This was a great post. I realized there must have been something else holding the cover in place but hated to ruin a molding to find out. I used a paint can pry tool that paint stores give away. It is thin and has a curved lip which worked well. Thanks again. John
A quick learner from mn says:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7338Y-I3IA
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.