help replacing sash

A home owner from Sun City Center, Fla. says:
I have not yet begun to work on my NuAir single hung window bottom sash, which appears to have a broken balance on the left side. I have been studying your videos and guides, and I think I can do it. Window is about 31" H and 50" W, so might be heavy.
If I take the sash out, I expect the right side balance might be in good shape, so I can photograph it and order the parts from you. I would replace both balances.
My question: after I have it out to look at it, can I replace the sash temporarily, while I wait for the parts, with only the right side balance in? I suspect the left side balance might not go back in so good. Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You can put the sash back in the window jamb channel. Just make sure to gently hook the one side of the balance and, while holding the sash, gradually bring the sash down while keeping it to the right so as to not unhook the balance. Then you just lock it.
A quick learner from Sun City Center, FL says:
I think I know what I need, but I would like your opinion before I order.

My balance is 30" Long. It is 9/32" wide.
My sash weighs 20 pounds.

I think my top attachment is # 19-005, and my shoe is # 15-004. (It is 1 3/32" wide or deep.)

I think I should order two Series 385, Option 2930, 30 inch long balances. Thank you for all your help so far.
A customer submitted image of their window channel balance.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Based on your specifications, I think that the S385-30 with a 2930 option is a good choice! Just make sure to triple check all your measurements and the weight of the sash, just to be totally sure.
A quick learner from Sun City Center, FL says:
I see I made a mistake on the size of my balance; it should be 9/16", not 9/32". Thank you for your answer, and now I will place my order.

Elbert

Hello,

I received my order of two 30" Series 385 channel balances, and they look like the correct parts for my window. I thought that I had inspected the condition of the sash before I ordered parts, but now I wonder if I have something wrong on my sash.

I have installed the balances, without too much trouble, and the sash can be lowered to the bottom, closed position, once, but if I open the window again, for some reason the bottom shoe on the left balance dislodges and the balance flies up to the top of the track.
I don't want to remove the sash again, but is there some piece in the bottom of the sash that grabs the shoe and holds it?
I have re connected the balance several times, and it appears OK, but if I close and open the sash, the shoe dislodges again and the balances flies up to the top again. HELP!!! (I have NuAir windows.)
Elbert
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
There is nothing that holds the shoe to the sash. It sounds like the problem is with your top sash guide. These are little pieces that install on the top two corners of the sash and keep the balance from shooting up, like yours is. Carefully examine the top corners of your sash and see what is installed (you should remove the sash to do this) and see if the top sash guides are damaged in any way. If so, please take a few pictures of them for us to see and we can try to find a good replacement.
Thank you Tom, for the speedy answer. I will get back to you soonest.

Elbert

Hello,

Here are pix of my two top sash guides from my NuAir window. I have previously bought new balances and installed them OK, but then found that the left side top guide had gotten chewed up from the original left balance when it malfunctioned.
If you can identify the replacement guides that I need, I will order them from you. Thank you.

Elbert
User submitted photos of a top sash guide.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! How about our 18-178? This looks very close.
A home owner from Sun City Center, FL says:
Good Job, Paul. I think you picked the right parts, and I have ordered them.

Thank you.

Elbert
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.