SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

help with drawer guide rollers

A quick learner from NJ says:
Current lopsided and falling apart guide rollers look to be stapled into ash face frame cross piece. Your replacement rollers are attached with screws. Is it necessary to drill a pilot hole so that the cross piece doesn't split? Any suggestions on making the hole if I don't have an offset drill? I tried using staple gun, but that didn't work. Also, the little prongs on the plate, is there any special way to get them to sit in the wood, other than to push them in place? Thanks in advance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! This is a good question. Yes, you would drill pilot holes to prevent cracking in the wood rail. To answer your other questions, however, I will need to see some photos of your setup. You can upload them right here for me to see.
Here is a picture of the setup. Cabinets are ~35 years old. 4" drawer opening.
User submitted photos of drawer hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Great pictures! That helps a lot. It looks like this uses front drawer rollers. Check out our 32-021 and 32-022. Could these help fix your problem?
Yes, those rollers are perfect. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Any suggestions on making the hole if I don't have an offset drill? I tried using staple gun, but that didn't work. Also, the little prongs on the plate, is there any special way to get them to sit in the wood, other than to push them in place? Thanks in advance.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You could try using a small screwdriver instead of an offset drill, though it may be tricky. There's no special way to get the metal prongs to sit in the wood, they can just push into place.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)