SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

i need window balances for several milgard vinyl windows, 10 years old

A quick learner from claremont ca says:
the attached image show the stamp on the existing balances - which SWISCO part is a replacement?
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I cannot determine what Series you have based on just the stamp. I will also need to see the top and bottom nylon attachments. Also, can you confirm the weight of your sash? Looking at the stamp, I would assume it's 39 pounds, but I would like you to confirm just in case. Thanks!
it looks like series 380 or 385, based on the end attachments. the sash does appear to be about 40 pounds
Profile picture of Tom
Great! Both those Series have stamps that can carry that weight, so all you need to do is confirm which you have.
A quick learner from Claremont says:
Ok, how do I do that? The pictures look the same to me.
Profile picture of Tom
The key difference between the Series is the size of the bottom shoe. You need to measure your own, then compare your measurements to ours to determine which is a better match. We have detailed measurements on each product's store page.
OK, the shoe is 15-004, so it's series 385.

How do you measure the length of the balance - just the metal part, or from plastic tip to plastic tip?

And do I have a problem if the actual weight of the sash is 39 pounds when the weight range maxes out at 34? It's a Milgard window, but there's leaded glass sandwiched inside the double panes. I'm guessing that's where the high weight comes from.
Profile picture of Tom
You only measure the metal channel. Based on your stamp, I would guess it's 33".

The S385-33 has two stamp options that can cover 39 pounds. I recommend weighing yours on a scale to get a more exact weight so that you can determine which is better: the 3265 (35 to 39 lb) or 3270 (39 to 42 lb).
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)