SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

identify correct balance

A landlord from Vancouver, wa says:
I have a rental with vinyl windows installed 10-12 years ago. The balances installed have 18 3 BS1 stamped on them. I cannot get them to engage properly, the tail end of the balance always sticks out past bottom of window. It has been a while since this window has functioned correctly.

Overall window length is 19 5/8, with a 1 1/2 inch setback to where I think the top of the balance should be. Any thoughts? Does an 18-3 sound right? Just looking at it (and I have pulled/reinstalled other balances so I don't think its misapplication of correct hardware) it seems kind of long, maybe should be a 16 or 17 inch. ??
A user submited photo of window channel balance
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Before I can recommend an applicable replacement balance, can you please give me the total length of the metal channel? Please do not incorporate the plastic attachments in your measurements.
A landlord from Vancouver, wa says:
So regardless of length, can you tell me which type to order to get replacements? I.E, 19-002, 15-004, etc? Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, the balance attachments you have do not match any of our current Series or attachments. This balance will have to be custom made. Before I can go ahead with the custom order, though, I'll need you to confirm the metal channel's length.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)