SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

The inside lock fell into the sliding door frame

A quick learner from Hendersonville tn says:
I removed my handle to paint it and the inside guts of the handle feel into the door. We can't get them out. The door/lock has zero markings other than the letters DNS stamped on the inside. We don't know what to do
User submitted photos of patio door handles.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Hi Katrina!

If you take a look at the 82-034 Legacy Handle Set, you'll notice it looks similar to yours. Now, the part that fell inside your door frame is called the mortise lock. The 82-218 Mortise Lock is often times used with the 82-034 Handle Set, but of course we can't tell for sure that's what you need without seeing it.

Getting that mortise lock out of the frame isn't an easy task. I've actually dropped a couple inside a door myself. The best way to get it out is to get the door off of the frame and tilt the lock toward to opening and then use a set of pliers to pull it out.

With all of that said, I'm going to recommend you take a look at a couple videos. These should give you a good idea of how these things work:
And then here's one about replacing sliding glass door rollers. You can see how we take the door off of the frame:
Let us know if you have any other questions!
A quick learner from tn says:
Thank you so much for your help! We were able to find an extremely strong magnet to pull the lock out of the door:) for now we have painted the handle a satin nickle.. when they wears off I guess we will pay the $ to replace. Thanks for everything, glad to know there is a replacement option!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)