install a shorter Jeld-Wen bifold top pivot bracket

A home owner says:
I just had installed 72" 4-panel bi-fold doors and 60" 4-panel bi-fold doors. Both are from Jeld-Wen. The hardware that came with the 60" is labeled "Johnson" and the top pivot bracket is "Johnson 1810 pivot socket" and looks like Product Code 23-307 on your website. The hardware that came with the 72" are unlabeled and the top pivot bracket looks like Product Code 23-302. The tracks are both 1" by 1/2" but the "railing" inside the tracks are at different heights.

As you can see from the pictures of the two top pivot brackets on your website, the 23-302 bracket is much shorter than the "Johnson" type, and therefore allows the doors to be folded closer to the jamb. In my installations, my 72" 4-panel bi-folds are only 4" from the jamb when folded, but my 60" can only get as close as 5-1/8".

I really need that extra inch of opening access. Is there a replacement for the "Johnson" bracket that is as short as the 23-302, or do I need to get a new track/bracket/pins combination?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us! From what I remember, you should only have to move the 23-307 bracket to adjust the doors to open and close. I'm a bit confused when you mention having two different sized tracks, however; they should be both the same. Can you send a few pictures of what you have? That may help me understand better.
A home owner says:
Here are some pictures. As you can see, when fully open (folded), the panels for the 72" door are closer together, and thus provide a wider opening access. I am not talking about how far the brackets are placed from the jamb side. I am talking about the space between the pivot for the pivot door and the stop for the lead door. On the Johnson bracket, they are farther apart and thus the doors cannot be folder closer together.

I am asking: (1) if there is a replacement for the Johnson bracket that would allow the panels to fold closer together; (2) if I have to replace the Johnson bracket with 23-302, whether I need to also replace the track and the pivot pins and guides. As far as I can tell, the tracks, the pivot pins, and the pivot guides all look different, albeit having the same overall dimensions.
A customer submitted photo of their closet door.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for the pictures! This makes things a bit clearer. To be honest, I don't believe that the 23-302 bracket will fit in a Johnson track, and these pictures confirm that. You may have better luck buying an entirely new track. I would suggest taking a look at our 23-511 Bifold Track, which comes with a 23-302 bracket. See if you think this would work out better.
A home owner says:
What would be the top pivot pin and top pivot guide that would go with the 23-511? I think I'd need to replace those too for proper fitting.
Profile picture of Paul
The 23-112 would work as the Top Pivot, and the 23-114 would work as the top guide. Come to think of it, you may also want to look at our 23-506 Bifold Door Track and hardware Kit, which may have more of what you're looking for.
A handy person from Connecticut says:
If you look at your photo of the top brass bracket in the 60" door, you will see that this assembly is mad of two pieces that are screwed together. The left portion (with the elongated center hole) is adjustable. Simply loosen the screw and slide the left piece to the right and retighten the screw. This sets the left stop for the closing door. If you move require more closure than provided by this adjustment, you can remove the left piece entirely and replace it with the top piece for the far left stop.
Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.