SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

installation of 82-068

A home owner from newman, ca says:

I'm trying to simply replace a broken latch for the lock on my glass slider door. I could not find anything matching in the local Home Depot or Lowe's, so I found your website.

First I bought just the latch. Your replacement latch I bought does not fit in with my current handle, so I had to buy the whole handle from you.

Your handle came with NO instructions. There are holes all over this thing and you sent many different screws. Do you normally sell to licensed contractors only? I'm usually pretty good at home repairs, but not with your product.

There are no threads in your replacement handle holes. Are we supposed to just force the screws in place? I'm pushing as hard as I can and I can barely get it to go. Then, the screws are too long! I can't get the handles tight around my door. PLUS, the side screws to hold the indoor handle against the mount are too long, and the holes aren't threaded either!

It's very frustrating trying to install your handle. Can you please help? My slider has been without a lock for over three weeks now; I'm getting VERY frustrated.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Good afternoon! Thanks for posting in our discussion board. I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble installing the 82-068 Mortise Style Handle Set. From what you've described, though, it sounds like the 82-068 may not have been the correct replacement handle for your door. If at all possible, could we see a few pictures of your old handle so that we can try to find a suitable replacement?
A home owner from newman, ca says:
Hello, Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure why you think this is not the correct replacement handle from what I've described. It "should" fit nicely.

The problem I am having is that the brass fine-threaded screws that screw through the handle-mount into the outside handle do not screw in far enough. I'm 1/16" of an inch away from being able to tighten the handle around my door. My door is 1 7/32" thick by the way.

The hole goes deeper based on using a paper clip as a depth gage, but even after screwing the brass screw in and out a few times (being able to go deeper each time), I'm still short.

The hole I am screwing into is NOT threaded. Please answer this question:

It makes it VERY hard to screw the screw in. Basically I'm 'tapping' the hole with the screw as metal shavings fall out as I pull the screw back out. I consulted with a licensed General Contractor and he said he feels the part should have come with threads and that I got a defective part.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. I apologize for the confusion. The holes for the 82-068 are not threaded, nor are they meant to be. It is a little tough to get the screws in, I know this from experience. It's meant to be a tight fit. You may want to consider using a power tool.

On the other hand, Dave may have had a point. If you continue to have issues with installation, a different handle may be better suited for your door.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)