SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

jalousie window crank issue

A quick learner from Houston, TX says:
I have a jalousie window issue and am trying to determine if I need to buy the entire window crank unit, or just the handle. It is similar to your part #39-006. The difference is that my unit has an actual crank type handle that sticks out to operate the window, as opposed to the butterfly type handle shown in your part numbers.

The issue: If I turn the window crank to the right the window opens as it should. However, when I turn the crank back to the left to close the window, the handle falls out of the unit. So I assume something is stripped somewhere.

I am trying to find out if the handle is the problem, and just replace it for a couple of bucks. Or, is the problem likely inside the unit, in which case I will have to buy and replace the whole thing? Anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing the handle to fall off into my hands?

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! If the handle is falling off when you crank it, then it is likely stripped. This is probably a problem with the gear bore inside the operator itself, which means that the entire unit will need to be replaced.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)