SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

kawneer door hardware

A handy person from Rogers, AR says:
Hey. At my spouse's office they have a Kawneer 36" exterior metal door with glass. The aluminum threshold has no rubber weatherstripping. There is a sweep on the outside of the door. Is there a rubber insert that fits into the bottom of the door? The door bottom appears to be hollow. I seem to be unable to attach a photo from iPhone. Can you help? Thanks. Joe
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
We did not receive your images, but we still may be able to help. We carry two types of weatherstripping that are popular with Kawneer doors: our 58-085 and 58-111. Please look at both and carefully compare our pictures and dimensions to your own hardware. Could either work?
A quick learner from Rogers, AR says:
Let me try again, again without images.

Imagine a Kawneer 36" swinging metal door with a rubber sweep on the outside which does not make contact. There is a hollow space in the bottom of the door running the full width, I'm guessing 1" to 1 1/4" wide. A vertical locking pin is about 1" from the locking edge and locks into the threshold.

58-085 and 58-111 are 7' and 8', I assume for vertical applications. I want a horizontal piece to make contact with the metal threshold. The rubber sweep would not seem to be sufficient, even if it did make contact. Another site lists a rubber "dual bulb and fin door sweep bottom", which looks like it would fit into the bottom of the door and make contact with the threshold, sealing out air and bugs.

Have I said too much without saying enough?

Thanks, appreciate your time.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I think I understand what you need. How about using a standard door sweep like our 40-005? This is the type of door sweep that we used ourselves when we used to install commercial doors.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)