SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

kerf-installed door insulation to fill larger gap

A home owner from Brookline, MA says:
We are looking for replacement weatherstripping for a door. The existing stripping is marked "therma-tru" and is fatter than typical weatherstripping. I have attached a photo with profile view & ruler. Your 58-056 looks similar but looks like it would not fill the size gap we need. We've tried a couple others and they are also too thin--leaving a wider than the existing stripping. Also, even the existing stripping is actually still letting cold air in at the top of the door (you can see light/gap). The rest of the door seems fine. The gap we need to fill is between 5/8" and 3/4". Do you have any suggestions?

It's not a steel door so magnetic options would not work, but we're open to suggestions of other types of weather stripping that might work, if there's no direct replacement for this, or maybe a suggestion of how to better seal the top of the door (there is a gap ranging from 3/8" to 1/2" between the door itself and the door frame up there!).

Thanks in advance!
User submitted photos of weather seal.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. I'm afraid I haven't been able to find a foam seal this big, but do you think you could use our 58-169? This has a nail-on flange so you can adjust it to whatever length you need before you install it.
Profile diagram of 58-169
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)