SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

magnetic door seal and compression seal for steel door

A quick learner from Nashville, TN says:
I had ordered the MDS17HA from Frost King for 2 exterior steel doors I have, but it only worked for one of my doors, the other one wouldn't shut, because the seal is too deep and thick. The Frost King seal was listed as 3/4" thickness and I think I need a 1/2" thickness. I have attached the images and measurements.
I have tried to find a seal with that profile and have had no luck. The door is about 20 years old, the seals came with it. I think it came from Home Depot.
I appreciate any help in locating a seal that will work.

thanks, Gabriele
User submitted photos of weather seal.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Check out our 58-008 magnetic door seal set. I think this might match what you need. See if you agree!
A home owner from Nashville, TN says:
No ,the 58-008 is exactly the same as the Frost King MDS17HA that I bought before. The profile is different, there is too much material between the magnet and the kerf piece and I can't latch the door, and the compression piece also has more volume or extra plastic material that also binds the door. I need something slightly smaller in profile.
thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. When people are having trouble with magnetic weather stripping, we suggest our 58-056 compression foam seal instead. In fact, some people feel that it does a better job in sealing the door, since magnets tend to wear out after a while. Could that work?
A home owner from Nashville, TN says:
Thanks
I will try that.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)