SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

magnetic weather strip

A home owner from Illinois says:
Hi. I have stripping that is very similar to 58-056 but has a magnetic strip attached. Is it true that the magnetic strip is no longer needed? This is for an exterior door that gets abused by the weather. Thank you for your time.
User submitted a photo of weatherstripping.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting and submitting your picture!

Take a look at the Swisco 58-056 Swinging Door Compression Foam Seal. Do you think this may work as a replacement?
A home owner from Illinois says:
Sorry, but that was my question to you. I understand that 58-056 is similar to what I have but would like to know if not having the magnetic strip would provide less insulation coverage. Thanks.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Actually, I have heard several handy people claim that the regular compression is even better than the magnet in some cases. It also means that there's no chance of the magnet scratching up the door, which is often the case with magnet seals. Either way, it should work fine.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)