SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

measuring for new window sash balance

A handy person from austin, texas says:
My husband and I are rehabbing all the windows in our 1954 house. They contain very simple spring balances that I would like to replace with spiral balances. (I saw this recommendation on your forum for a person in a similar situation).

The issue I have is that though I know I need 5/8" diameter balances and your company recommended the S500 series for my application, I'm not sure:

1. Whether I need the red or blue tip
2. How to measure for which length of balance I need.

One more thing: we are replacing the 1/8" plate glass with 1/4" laminated glass to decrease noise and increase safety. This however makes the window considerably more heavy.

Any guidelines to help us choose the right hardware would be very much appreciated!

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Before I can offer an applicable replacement balance, I just need to know two pieces of information for you. First, please tell me what the glass height is. Then, I will need to know the weight of the sash. You can determine this by removing it from the window and placing it on a scale.
A handy person says:
Glass 25 3/4" H by 27 5/8 W

The pane weighs 21 lbs.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! A rule of thumb for wood sashes is that if the glass height is 25-3/4", the top sash balance will be 27" and the bottom sash balance will be 30". I also recommend that you choose the blue color bearings for each sash.
A handy person says:
thanks for all your help. My windows are not double hung so I assume I just need the 27" sash balances correct?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Being that it's a single-hung window, please look at the S500-29, assuming the height of the wood sash is 30".
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)