metal bifold door bottom guide

A home owner from west palm beach florida says:
the bottom tracks for my 10"-(four 30")bifold louvered metal closet doors were discarded by my contractor. i want to replace the track with just the bottom pivots and a roll guide. how does the small plastic roll guide 21-174 go on. do you have a ball type of roller that is independent of a bottom track. thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It'll be hard to make a recommendation without the original hardware, but let me a couple pictures of your existing bottom door guides and I'll see what I can come up with!
ok I looked in back of the doors and they are "Benchmark". all the bottom hardware is missing. the doors are on with the top track only and pivot hinges with l shaped brackets on the bottom (wall)ends. I need a glide for the open side of the bottom to support the door without a track. there is not enough room for a track because of new tiles.your 21-174or similar might do well if I could find a long pin with which to attach it.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmmm... I had one idea that may work with what you want to do, but I can't guarantee it. You can try using our 21-026B with our 21-174. Now, the 21-174 doesn't give the pin much to grab on to, so you might have to hit the pin straight on with a hammer to mushroom the top so. You would also need our 21-250 spring and 21-157 retainer. What do you think?
thanks for your idea. it sounds possible. I will also need some sort of molly to anchor the bottom end pivot brackets. do you also have replacement bottom pivot pins, brackets, and necessary hardware. let me know so I can put the whole thing together and order. thanks
I think that if hit the pin with a hammer it might go right through the glide. do you have a washer or something that would sort of spread out when hammered and grip the pin and the glide. how does your 21-174 actually stay on? just by the weight of the door?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Hello! You wouldn't hit the pin with the hammer while it's attached to the guide. You just want to distort the end of the pin so that when you do fit it in the 21-174, it fits. You could also possibly use a type of adhesive. Neither is an ideal situation, but since you do not have original hardware some creativity is necessary. I think Paul recommended this hardware as a kind of "worse case scenario." Without knowing what your doors had originally, we cannot give a definitive solution. and we cannot even guarantee that this will work.
Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.