SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

missing measurement

A friend from Allen County, Kentucky, usA says:
Dear Friends at Swisco,
For product 26-157 & 158, I need the precise measurement from the vertical flange to the center of top screw hole. Thank you.
bob grow
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I believe the measurement you are looking for 2". Take a look at the included picture to confirm I measured for the dimension you are seeking.
Image with an additional dimension of the 26-157 tilt latch
Hi Paul. Thanks for your responsiveness, however that is not the measurement I am seeking. I need the measurement from the center of the top screw hole (correctly identified on your picture) to the vertical flange (which fits down into the side frame rail of the window). I apparently do not have the correct terminology, but what I am referring to as the vertical flange is the piece (5/8" wide x 11/16" long) which makes it a "corner" latch, by protruding down from below the outer edge of the surface mounted portion. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Hope it is more clear now. bob grow
I believe I understand the dimension you are describing. The distance between the "vertical flange" which is 5/8" and 15/16" long from the top installation hole is 1-11/16". Take note that I measured from the inside of the vertical flange to the installation hole.
Distance between the vertical flange and the installation hole of the 26-157
Thank you Paul. That is the measurement that I was seeking (assuming you measured to the "center" of the top installation hole). Unfortunately the products that I am trying to replace (made by "LE-AL-CO", apparently no longer in business) are exactly the same as your 26-157 with the exception of that one measurement. The LE-AL-CO brand measures 1-12/16" from the vertical flange (inside edge) to the center of the top installation hole. The difference would likely cause damage upon replacement where the vertical flange mates to the surface unit.
I currently need only ten replacements (5 left 26-158, and 5 right 26-157) and if they do not work due to the difference in measurement, the shipping costs makes the purchase and return unaffordable. Is this product available at one or more local hardware stores, that I might check its fit without committing to $20 of shipping and return postage? My zip code is 42164. If not, might you be prosperous enough to mail one sample to me at no charge, that I could test its fit. If it does not work, I will return it at my cost. If it fits well enough, I will order the other nine and pay for all ten. Thank you for your consideration.
bob grow
I rechecked the measurement and it is a slightly heavy 1-11/16" but definitely under 1-3/4". I do not know if you will find these latches at a local hardware store, but you can try to print out the product page and bring it in your local hardware store - sometimes they will order in products for you. SWISCO does not send out samples. There is no minimum order on stock items, so you can order as quantities as small as one latch.
Paul, thank you for rechecking the measurement and for all your responses. I will have to think about my various options, but you have been a great help. Thanks again. bob grow
A quick learner from Chattanooga, TN says:
Like the questioner, I also was looking for replacements for a LE-AL-CO window. I purchased a Right Hand 26-157 and it will work with some slight adjustments.

The tab seems a bit thick for me but looks to be the same as the part I removed. However, I used a utility knife to shave a bit off the tab so that I did not have to "bang" it home (scared of breaking it before I knew if it would work). After thinning it out a bit, I got it into the side slot and that screw hold lined up exactly.

I used the top screw hole as it was, but I think when I get some more, I will open up the hole on the near side so that the assembly is a bit more parallel to the window. The LE-AL-CO part lines up flush with the near top of the window but this 26-157 part looks like it should fit perhaps 1/32nd from the near top of the window.

Ordering 5 sets of 25-157 and 25-158.

So, my advice for LE-AL-CO window owners is to buy this and make the slight adjustments to make them work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)