SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

modify tilt window latch

A quick learner from Maryland says:
I need to replace a few of the tilt window latch. I would like to do this without having to drill new holes in the window. I bought a new latch from Lowes but the screw holes were different. In drilling new holes I broke the glass. The problem is it looks like the existing window latches were modified. It looks like the end next to wall was cut off. The holes are 2 1/8in. apart but the length of the latch is 2 7/8in. with only 1/2in. from the screw hole to the end on the side with the tooth. Could one of your latches be modified in a similar way to fit?
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think you might have a General window, as your top tilt latch looks like our 26-195 and 26-196. All the dimensions match except the distance between the screw holes (2-3/16"). Would it still work? Make sure to measure from the center of each hole.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)