SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

mortise lock jammed in door

A home owner from Columbus, OH says:
From reading all the other posts,and measuring my lock set, it appears that all of my measurements match up with the Legacy 82-075 lock set. Currently my lock is jammed inside the door, and I found a locksmith who said he could remove it. My question is: Do I need to replace the entire lock set, or am I able to just purchase the mortoise lock by itself, and use my current handles?
Inside handle says sash Ferndale mi, 2260. US patent 5125703,D340398
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Well, it would depend on two factors: the first is that your current handle set is not damaged in any way. When your locksmith removes it from the door, have him look it over to confirm it's in good condition. The second factor is that the new mortise lock is the same as the old one. As long as these two points are covered, you should be able to reuse the old handle set.
A home owner from Columbus Oh says:
Thanks for your quick response. I think it would be best if I purchased the Legacy handle set 82-075, as well as a new lock. So, my new question is: Since the Legacy 82-075 screw holes are 3 and15/16 inches apart, does this mean the correct mortise lock to order is the 82-218, since its screw hole centers are 3 and 11/16?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sure, as long as the size of your hole and the installation hole spacing matches the dimensions we have for the 82-218, then it sounds like a great match. The 82-218 is compatible and often used with the 82-075.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)