need spiral balance for MW windows

A home owner from winston-salem, nc says:
Hello. I just spoke with someone at Plygem Windows in Rocky Mount, VA (closest location to my home) and they referred me to you. I have three MW windows in my living room and two of the windows won't stay up when I open them. Upon closer inspection, the two windows in question have one broken spiral balance apiece.

I am hoping you can help me figure out exactly which replacement parts I need to order. On the phone, the woman ay Plygem told me I needed "spiral balances for twin seal vinyl siding single hung windows." I am attaching several photos in hopes that this provides you with more detail, and am more than happy to take additional pictures if necessary.

thank you!
user submitted photos of window balances and lock plygem
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for submitting your photos.

Have you removed a spiral balance from your window? If not, remove the balance from the window and take pictures of the balance, in particular the balance attachments. Upload the photos to the discussion board so we can take a look and help you research possible replacements. Along with your submission, be sure to include the length of the tube portion only, as well as the color of your balance tip.
okay, more pics are attached. i measured the length of the white tube and it comes out to 29 inches. not sure what color the balance tip is...in one photo (taken of the end of the 29'' white tube) it appears there is a white or clear colored encasing inside, but im not sure if that is what you are referring to.

again, if i need to take more pictures, i am happy to do so. i want to make sure i get this right!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Before we recommend a replacement balance, please give us the diameter of the plastic tube (looks like it may be 5/8"). We will also need to see a photo of the pivot shoe the spiral portion of the balance hooks into.
A home owner from Winston-Salem, NC says:
sorry it's taken me this long to reply, but it's been so hot here that our windows have been closed and the AC has been on literally every day since, so our "window issues" haven't posed much of a problem the last few months.

the diameter of the plastic tube is 3/8 of an inch and i've attached photos of both ends of what the spiral portion of the balance hooks into, in hopes that one of the photos shows the pivot shoe.

please let me know if i can provide any additional information. i am hopeful that we can get our windows fixed before it becomes "open window weather."

thank you.
User submitted photos of window balance and pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for getting the photos to us.

If your balance tube does indeed measure 3/8" in diameter, this would be the Series 900 Spiral Balance.

Since your balance doesn't have a tip color we will need to get the weight of your window sash. Please remove the window sash and place it on a scale and give us the weight in lbs.
sorry to sound so un-handy, but which part of the window is the "window sash" and how do i remove it?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The window sash is the part of the window you're able to move up and down.
A home owner from Winston-Salem, NC says:
I did my best to weigh the window sash, but it does not come out of the frame easily, so I leaned it back (as if I was going to clean it) onto a bathroom scale which I held level (see pic for details).

For what it's worth, the scale read 20 pounds both times I weighed it.

In all honesty, it probably weighs a little more than that because part of the sash was still locked into the window frame. I was worried that if I removed the sash completely, I would not be able to get it back in.

If this helps, the bottom part of the window sash that connects to a metal bar in the window frame is surrounded by a blue casing. And not far from the blue casing is the serial number "590CSB."

Thanks for your continued help.
Profile picture of Paul
We're going to need to gather the exact weight before we proceed with any recommendations.

To remove the window sash, tilt the window in then grasp the lower section close to where the sash attaches to the jambs. Then, forcefully lift the right side up until the sash comes out.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.