need to replace window balance

A home owner from Smyrna, TN says:
I have several windows in a home we recently purchased that need to be repaired. One balance is marked 18C BSI G, the others are 28B BSI G. I can get the balance loose in the channel, but anyway I turn it, it will not fit through the opening. There are no removable parts in the channel. I am attaching pictures of the balance, the foot, and the window sash attachment.

Thanks for the help.
John I.
User submitted photos of their 28B BSI G channel balance system.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good Morning,

You have our series S775-18 (with the 18C option & your shoe size) & S775-28 (with the 28B option & your shoe size) window balances. The tilt bar is our 26-021.

It seems the spring or string is broken in your window channel. The nylon shoe attached to the bottom of the balance has a pin sticking out that locks the sash in place when tilting the sash in. So to remove the broken tilt shoe with balance, stick a large flat head screwdriver into the center of shoe and turn the shoe counterclockwise to release it. Unscrew the balance at the top and you can now remove balance.
A quick learner from Jacksonville, FL says:
I have 4 windows with the same issue. Not very familiar with balancers, except recent research. It appears that the top and bottom of each side has crumbled (plastic); although, windows mostly never opened. Not sure what parts I need to fix it. Pictures attached.
Thanks, Eric
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CF4E5714-57C0-4139-A7AE-85C71F27BF9D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D38F40E8-511F-4CA4-BC6A-16E368C238F2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 67321E5A-362F-4FED-84E2-E2EBBD1D4059.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4F82DC8E-2A86-40D0-A7AF-7CFFECC1C72D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0F4E63B5-DA58-4F97-8A36-37D305778275.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It looks like you need new top sash guides. Those are the plastic guides at the top two corners of the sash that keep the balance in place during operation.

The video below will show you how these work and how they're replaced. As for identification, we can help with that, but we need you to remove an undamaged version and show me a clear picture of it from the front and side. Think of it like a mug shot.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a S775 balance
How to install a S775 balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.