SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

new channel balance for a window

A quick learner from USA says:
I'm looking for a new channel balance for a window. It measures .5 in wide and 28 in long. I've attached some pictures to help identify the proper replacement.
I think S390-28 is the correct one.
Any help is appreciated.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry, but it appears your images did not come through. However, it's very easy to confirm what Series channel balance can work. The key is in the nylon attachments that come installed on either end. Just make sure that those have the same dimensions as your current balance. Also be sure to weigh your window sash on a scale so that you can choose the correct stamp option.
A quick learner says:
Here is the stamp from the channel.
User submitted photo of their window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
I'm afraid that stamp does not tell us what Series you have, but it does tell me that you may need a specially made balance. Were you able to confirm if the Series 390 was correct? What is the weight of your sash?
A quick learner says:
I measured the nylon it was 34 in long. I can't weight the sash yet. Probably later this week as we are finally warming up here in minnesota.

Thanks,
Profile picture of Tom
I'm not sure I understand. I thought you said the balance was 28" long? Is the 34" long balance something else?

Let me know whenever you can get your sash weight!
A quick learner says:
Yes the metal channel balance was 28" long. The nylon string inside was 34" long. I assume since it's on a pulley system inside that's why it's longer.
Profile picture of Tom
I see. I think you may be confused. I was referring to the nylon caps on either end of the balance, not the cord. As you can see, our Series 390 shows detailed dimensions of both the top and bottom nylon caps. Please compare those dimensions to your own in order to confirm that the Series 390 is a match.
A quick learner says:
Ok thanks for the patience. It weights 37.5 lbs.
A quick learner says:
After measuring and comparing the top 19-002 and shoe 15-001 look to be right.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Great. So the Series 390 is the right match. With your sash weight, I also recommend our 2770 option, which will have to be custom made since it's a higher-than-average strength. To begin, check out this Custom Channel Balance Request Form I've started for you based on your specifications and fill out the blank fields. One of our representatives will get back to you with a price quote and an item to add to your cart.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)