SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

old Anderson butterfly latches and window pulls

A home owner from USA says:
I live in a house that has old Anderson windows. Some of the white metal screens are missing parts, either the butterfly latches that hold the screen in place or the pulls at the bottom of the screen. I do not know the age of the windows, likely early 70's, and two different types of hardware on them. I am including photos of both types intact and also the missing parts.

Will the butterfly latches 70-187 fit the first set?
Will the butterfly latches 70-174 fit the second set?
What part would I use for the pulls?
How best to install these items?

Thanks for having this venue, it is a great resource!

User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! I've tried both of these before. Neither fit, but the 70-187 kind of worked the best out of the two. The trouble with the clip on your screens is that they have to be installed at the factory when the screen is manufactured. They cannot be installed afterwords by hand, which is why we don't carry them. Another suggestion would be to use the 70-204 pull ring and sill screw. I'm sorry we can't give a more definitive solution.
A home owner from Overland Park, Ks says:
I have the same kind of white metal screens with missing the butterfly latches that hold the screen in place, the pulls at the bottom of the screen and a window lock is broker. ( picture included).

What is the best suggestion for me beside replacing the whole window screen. I looked the suggested 70-204 pull ring and sill screw. I am not sure how the either one works. The link for the pull ring say to slip the pull ring over the ball head screw - What is the screw for? Do you install the screww first and then slip the pull over the screw.
User submitted a photo of a window lock & keeper.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
For this Andersen window lock, I recommend our 90-095. This kind of lock is no longer made of die cast metal, but the new version should still work. I had to replace some at my house and they fit just fine.

For the 70-204 slip on latch, first place it on the screen, and install the screen in the window. Pull the screen in towards you as tight against the window frame and mark the sill with a pencil at the loop. Remove the screen, install the screw at the mark, then reinstall the screen and flip the loop over the ball head screw.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)