old aluminum door doesnt lock

A handy person from westchester, ny says:
Hi, I have an old patio door, original to the house, which was built in the 60's, old untempered glass, very heavy, but nothing like an Anderson in terms of sound proof or efficiency. Nonetheless, I cant afford to replace the door just yet (new homeowner), but I did want to fix the lock at least for the time being. I think this may work in my door, but I don't know if this has the striker (strike plate?), where the door lock hooks onto? Is this just the handle or the complete set with screws and strike plate?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Yes, the 82-005 comes with both the keeper and installation screws.
A quick learner from NY says:
Thanks, I just realized that this is surface mounted, and no mortising is required. I'm very saavy with doors and lock specifics, but I am not sure this will work because the lock keeper will have to be drilled into the wood from of the patio door instead of inside the metal frame, where the door slides into. Is this is a good idea or should I find a replacement that has the 'mechanism or lock' inside the frame of door? Theres already an opening roughly 3" x 1" where the current locking thing is. I will try and get a picture soon so you have a better idea.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
If your patio door has an inside mortise lock, I would recommend sticking with that style handle set. Our 82-033 is the same style as the 82-005, but made specifically to work with inside mortise locks.
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.