SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

option number on S380-31 does not match existing balance

A home owner from Elkridge MD says:
Hi,

I need to replace a Caldwell Series 86 30 3 JL 1/2" channel balance. The length measures 31" and I think it has the 15-005 shoe and 19-005 top (see pictures). I think I need your S380-31 but I'm not sure of the option number. The 3 in the balance stamp indicates a Caldwell spring gauge of 3, which can handle up to 23 pounds. Does this mean I need option 3030?

Thanks,

Dan
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Dan. Based on your stamp, it seems like you would, indeed, need a 3030 stamp option. The 30 3 translates to 3030 for our site. A 31" balance with this stamp can support a sash weight of 16 through 23 lbs. What is the weight of your sash? Does it fall within that range?

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
A home owner from Elkridge MD says:
Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for the quick response. I'll weigh the sash at some point to double-check, but I am happy ordering parts with an equivalent rating to the original part.

Dan
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)