SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

patio door handle

A contractor from Indian Wells, Ca. 92210 says:
The handle I am looking for is very similar to your 82-025, but without the forks. As you can see by the attached photos the handle has a hole in the leading edge of the door that slides onto a post on the door jamb. The active patio door is an outside sliding door, and the home was built in the early eighties.
Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
User submitted photos of patio door hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for your patience in this matter. We are having a hard time finding a version of the 82-025 with no forks. Can you confirm? I recommend that you remove the handle set from the door just to be sure.

Can you also tell me if you are looking to replace the mortise and keeper on your door, or just the handle?
A professional from California says:
As far as I know, you can't get the handle without the "forks". They are required for operation of the mortise lock. You can find the plastic actuator along with the fork without the handle, but the handle comes with it attached.
The handle is just a chunk of aluminum.
The parts that go bad are the mortise and the actuator.
A quick learner from Indian Wells, Ca. 92210 says:
I took the patio door handle apart this weekend and found that it does have forks, similar to your #82-025. I think the problem lies in the latch in the door edge that slides down over the jamb post. I have screwed the post out as far as it will go, and the latching mechanism in the door will still not catch the post. It's as if the latch has been pushed toward the glass. Would I need to remove the jamb from the glass to replace or repair the latch? Also do you carry the latching mechanism?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I believe the problem is with the mortise internal latch mechanism inside the patio door itself. See if you can remove the mortise latch from the door. You might have to remove the patio door rail from the door to access the mortise latch, however. I'm not sure.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)